Pharmacy Clinical Specialist in Oncology
Company: Phoebe Putney Memorial Hospital
Posted on: December 4, 2019
Responsible for all aspects of pharmaceutical care to include safe
and appropriate use, managing selected drug therapies, and the
dispensing, compounding, labeling, and storage of pharmaceuticals.
Also participates in the education of patients, nurses and
Physicians. Pharmacists are responsible for management of daily
workflow to include supervision; training and validation of all
work performed by Pharmacy Technicians, Clerks, Intern Pharmacists,
and newly hired Pharmacists. All activities will be performed in
support of the strategy, vision, and values of Phoebe. Nothing in
this job description restricts management's right to assign or
reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time. All
activities must be in compliance with Equal Employment Opportunity
laws, HIPAA, ERISA, and other regulations, as appropriate. GENERAL
Adheres to the hospital and
departmental attendance and punctuality guidelines Performs all job
responsibilities in alignment with the core values, mission and
vision of the organization Performs other duties as required and
completes all job functions as per departmental policies and
procedures Maintains current knowledge in present areas of
responsibility (i.e., self education, attends ongoing educational
programs) Attends staff meetings and completes mandatory
in-services and requirements and competency evaluations on time.
Demonstrates competency at all levels in providing care to all
patients based on age, sex, weight, and demonstrated needs. For
non-clinical areas, has attended training and demonstrates usage of
age- specific customer service skills. Wears protective clothing
and equipment as appropriate. GENERAL SKILLS
/ Spelling,Read / Comprehend Written Instructions,Follow Verbal
Skills,Microsoft Office Suite,General Clerical Skills. WORKING
General environment: Works in a
well-lighted, air-conditioned area, with moderate noise levels. May
be exposed to high noise levels and bright lights. May be exposed
to limited hazardous substances or body fluids, or infectious
organisms. May be required to change from one task to another of
different nature without loss of efficiency or composure. Periods
of high stress and fluctuating workloads may occur. Long-distance
or air travel as needed - not to exceed 10% travel. May be
scheduled as needed including overtime CORE COMPETENCIES TEAMWORK &
COMMUNICATION: Contributes to building a positive team spirit by
offering assistance and support to co-workers, communicating
clearly and effectively, and collaborating with others to ensure
that team goals are consistently achieved. Strong performance
includes mastery of the following skills and tasks and related
- Listens well, gives and welcomes feedback.
- Offers assistance and support to co-workers and works actively
to resolve conflicts.
- Communicates with tact and consideration and keeps others
- Effectively expresses ideas verbally and in writing.
- Puts success of team above own interests. CUSTOMER CENTERED
SERVICE EXCELLENCE: Demonstrates commitment to the highest
standards of customer satisfaction by displaying courtesy and
sensitivity and responding promptly to customer needs. Strong
performance includes mastery of the following skills and tasks and
- Manages difficult or emotional customer situations.
- Meets commitments, and recognizes and acts on service
- Receives and applies feedback to improve quality and service.
FISCAL ACCOUNTABILITY - STAFF: Demonstrates the ability to
understand and use financial information for the good of the
organization. Strong performance includes mastery of the following
skills and tasks and related behaviors:
- Demonstrates careful stewardship of resources and avoids
unnecessary expenses and waste.
- Is aware of budgets relating to their area and supports
management to ensure budget targets are met.
- Considers most cost effective approaches to work and resource
utilization consistent with safety and service values.
- Fosters an environment that encourages fiscal responsibility.
INTEGRITY: Earns others' trust by demonstrating consistency of
values, principles, actions, methods, and outcomes; regarded as an
honest person of steadfast character, lacking in ulterior motives
or hidden agendas. Strong performance includes mastery of the
following skills and tasks and related behaviors:
- Is widely trusted.
- Is seen as a direct, truthful individual.
- Will stand up and be counted.
- Consistently acts according to stated values, beliefs, and
- Keeps confidences.
- Accepts personal responsibility and admits mistakes.
- Avoids misrepresenting self for personal gain.
- Can be counted on when times are tough. DECISION MAKING:
Exhibits sound and accurate judgment in decision making. Strong
performance includes mastery of the following skills and tasks and
- Demonstrates a willingness to make timely decisions and
includes appropriate people in decision making process.
- Gathers and analyzes information skillfully. Develops
alternative solutions and explains reasoning for decisions.
- Works within approved budget and conserves organizational
resources. QUALITY ORIENTATION - MANAGEMENT & STAFF: Promotes and
participates in efforts to achieve and maintain uncompromising
quality care. Strong performance includes mastery of the following
skills and tasks and related behaviors:
- Monitors accuracy of own and othersâ€™ work, systems, and
processes, and takes action to ensure that they meet or exceed
- Remains quality conscious over time, maintaining diligence
across the long-term.
- Assists with the development or participates in initiatives for
quality improvement based on regulatory requirements.
- Modifies and implements procedures to reduce operating time and
improve work quality based on evaluation of results.
- Assists departments with developing and implementing
initiatives to address root causes of quality issues.
ACCOUNTABILITY & PERFORMANCE IMPROVEMENT: Takes responsibility for
own actions, holds self and others to high ethical and performance
standards, and continually strives to improve levels of individual,
team, and organizational performance. Strong performance includes
mastery of the following skills and tasks and related behaviors:
- Takes responsibility for own actions and participates in
performance improvement efforts.
- Measures self against standard of excellence.
- Demonstrates efficient and effective use of organizational
resources and seeks ways to improve systems and services.
- Easily adapts to changes in the work environment and manages
- Aligns work with strategic organizational goals and upholds
hospital standards in self and others.
BEHAVIORAL COMPETENCIES ANALYTICAL SKILLS: Analyzes and synthesizes
complex or diverse information.
- Collects and researches data.
- Uses intuition and experience to complement data.
- Identifies data relationships and dependencies.
- Designs workflows and procedures. INNOVATION: Displays original
thinking and creativity to generate suggestions for improving
efficiency and effectiveness.
- Meets challenges with resourcefulness. Demonstrates persistence
and overcomes obstacles.
- Seeks opportunities for increased responsibilities.
- Takes independent actions and calculated risks. JOB KNOWLEDGE:
Understands and fulfills job responsibilities and expectations as
defined in the job description.
- Possesses current and comprehensive skill and knowledge to
perform all parts of the job effectively and efficiently.
- Exhibits ability to learn and apply new skills, professional
knowledge and expertise.
- Requires minimal day-to-day direction to perform
- Acts as resource in area of specialty and is able to share best
practices and answer questions as needed. PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT:
Maintains and develops clinical and professional skills and
- Identifies strengths and development needs through
- Participates in educational activities related to knowledge &
- Maintains professional records that provide evidence of
competency and learning.
- Takes action to achieve goals identified during the evaluation
- Participates in a formal committee or program.
- Shares knowledge and skills with peers and colleagues. TEAM
LEADERSHIP: Supports and motivates group for increased results.
- Fosters team cooperation.
- Defines team roles and responsibilities and sets goals and
- Ensures progress toward goals and gives performance
- Acknowledges individual and team accomplishments. WORK QUALITY:
Displays a commitment to excellence in quality of work.
- Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness.
- Looks for ways to improve and promote quality.
- Monitors own work to ensure quality; finds root causes of
- Owns and acts on quality problems; applies feedback to improve
JOB SPECIFIC COMPETENCIES MANAGEMENT OF AREA: Responsible for the
day to day operations in the area of specialty.
- Assists with development and implementation of policies and
procedures for area of specialty.
- Develops and maintains standards for area of specialty,
including, but not limited to: training, competency, customer
service, products, and processes.
- Assists with performance evaluations for personnel working in
area of responsibility.
- Assists with departmental budget preparation as relates to area
of specialty. PHARMACY SKILLS TOOLBOX: Develops and shows
competency on the following skills to perform daily pharmacist
- Skills including but not limited to: Prescription
Processing/Profile Review-includes assessment for safety, efficacy,
appropriateness and accuracy.
- Coordinate with prescribers to assist in providing the most
cost effective medication therapy for the patient.
- Identify and correct prescriptions that are not within federal
and state laws and regulations.
- Identify and correct problems regarding third-party
- Assist patients in selection of non-prescription
- Must understand USP Chapter 795 (Non-Sterile Compounding) and
be able to compound medication when necessary.
- Identify and correct drug interactions. TECHNOLOGY AND
EQUIPMENT USE: Demonstrates technical skill in using equipment
appropriate for role.
- Understands equipment operation.
- Maintains equipment in working order. Troubleshoots equipment
- Uses technology to increase productivity. Adapts to new
technology DOCUMENTATION: Documents and submits required
information and data in a timely fashion.
- Clearly and accurately documents designated processes,
policies, products, service offerings, etc.
- Ensures that documentation is tailored to expected readers /
- Uses correct terminology.
- Conforms to required style and format. CLINICAL SKILL: Ensures
quality of services provided in area of specialty.
- Assists in clinical training for pharmacists, residents,
students and technical staff.
- Maintains competency and keeps current with knowledge in area
Keywords: Phoebe Putney Memorial Hospital, Albany , Pharmacy Clinical Specialist in Oncology, Healthcare , Albany, Georgia
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!